About Champion Tree
The Champion Tree Program is administered by the Nebraska Forest Service. The purpose of the program is to promote public awareness of Nebraska's forest and tree resources by searching for the state’s largest trees.
To nominate a champion tree in Nebraska:
- View the nomination guidelines including directions on how to measure the tree
- Complete online or mail a completed nomination form and a photo of the tree. The form can be printed directly from your computer.
- Alow 2-3 weeks for confirmation of your nomination form
New champions in 2016:
- Colorado Blue Spruce, Chadron, 2016
- Hackberry, Ponca, 2016
- Saucer Magnolia, Falls City, 2016
- White Spruce, Chadron, 2016
About Heritage Tree Program
The Nebraska Register of Heritage Trees is unique because it is a collection of trees that have served as living witnesses in the state of Nebraska. The register includes tales, photographs and a journey into Nebraska’s past through the special accounts of these famous storytellers.
Nominating a distinctive tree for the register gives every community across the state an excellent opportunity to celebrate our Nebraska heritage.
The Nebraska Heritage Tree Program is a cooperative effort between the Nebraska Forest Service and Nebraska Community Forestry Council.
Guidelines for Nomination
- The tree is figurative in legend, lore or common perception.
- The tree stands at the home of a person who played a role in Nebraska history as a leader, writer or other significant contribution.
- The tree stands at or near where an event occurred that affected Nebraska’s development and citizens.
- The tree was planted by an individual or group whose experience is of significance.
- The tree is illustrated in sketches, journals, photographs or writings related to a historical event.
Anyone can nominate a tree for inclusion in Nebraska’s Heritage Tree Program. If you would like to nominate a tree for
consideration, download the nomination
form and send the completed nomination and photograph to:
Nebraska Forest Service
PO Box 830815 Forestry Hall
Lincoln, NE 68583-0815
For more information call (402) 472 2944 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org