Healthy forests and strong markets are dependent upon active, responsible forest management. Markets for wood and forest products lead to increased timber harvesting and forest management. Active forest management improves the health of Nebraska’s tree and forest resources, making forests sustainable over time.Download a Printable PDF
Forest Products Utilization Program Assistance
FPU staff is available to provide assistance with developing new and supporting existing markets for Nebraska’s tree and forest resources.
- Technical assistance for forest products businesses and sawmills
- Technical and financial assistance to develop woody biomass energy projects
- Partnership development for wood products utilization and woody biomass initiatives
- Grants for new product testing and demonstration
- Wood product marketing assistance
- Market identification and development
- Trainings and workshops related to forest products business needs
- Education and outreach related to woody biomass energy or forest products topics
- Information clearinghouse for state forest inventory data, wood supply information and forest products related publications
- Advertisement of available products through the "Timber Talk" quarterly newsletter
Financial Assistance Programs
The FPU program offers continuous, financial assistance programs to provide cost-share funding for market development activities including woody biomass energy system development and activities related to the development of new wood products. Funds are available through an application and review process. Contact FPU staff for information.
Trees Heat Nebraska
Technical and financial assistance program to facilitate woody biomass energy development.
- Conduct on-site technical assistance
- Complete initial pre-feasibility assessments
- Facilitate the completion of an engineering feasibility study
- Provide grants for the development, purchase, installation, or upgrade of woody biomass energy systems
- Assist seeking additional funding sources for conversion to woody biomass energy
- Assist with biomass supply chain development
- Develop partnerships for large-scale woody biomass energy initiatives and projects
- Conduct wood
Wood Product Development
Technical and financial assistance program to further wood product development, testing, and demonstration.
- Conduct on-site technical assistance
- Identify market opportunities for new products
- Facilitate partnerships between producers and potential markets
- Assist with product and business development activities and information
- Provide grants for product development, testing, and demonstration site establishment
- Develop and conduct outreach opportunities to increase wood product exposure
What can the FPU Program do for You?
The Forest Products Utilization staff provide a wide range of technical and financial assistance to the state’s forest products industry.
- Conduct lumber recovery, sawmill efficiency, or lumber-size control studies
- Identify and evaluate new product opportunities
Wood Product Businesses
- Identify potential new market options for current or proposed wood products
- Provide information regarding new and emerging market opportunities
- Assist with product development, testing, marketing, and demonstrations
- Conduct landowner visits to identify and quantify merchantable timber
- Advertise timber sales through the Timber Talk Newsletter network
Facilities and Buildings
- Complete pre-feasibility for facilities interested in wood energy projects
- Facilitate the completion of a feasibility study through cost-share programs or partnerships
- Provide financial assistance for the construction and installation of wood energy systems
Additional Industry Information
The Nebraska Forest Service has a number of additional informational resources available regarding the state’s forest products industry.
Primary Processors Directory
- Provides product and contact information for Nebraska’s primary processors.
- Includes sawmill operations, post producers, and wood fuel suppliers.
Secondary Processors Directory
- Provides product and contact information for Nebraska’s secondary processors.
- Includes businesses producing pellets, cabinets, pallets, and shipping material, flooring, and livestock bedding.
Timber Buyers Directory
- Provides business contact information for regional timber buyers with possible interest in purchasing timber or logs.